AMPHRITRITE STREET SOUTH - Walney Island

(also once known as: Cross Lane, not to be confused with Cross Lane at Biggar)

 

AWAITING PICTURE

 

Named after HMS Amphitrite of the Diadem Class cruisers. The 11000t Cruiser was built within the local shipyard as yard no258, Amphitrite had her keel laid down in December of 1896 and was Launched into Walney Channel on the 5th January 1898. She was commissioned into service during September 1901. Having served her time with 9th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic HMS Amphitrite was in the June of 1915 moved into reserve prior to conversion in 1917 to take up the role as a Minelayer. Amphitrite's fate came in 1920 when she was sold for scrap.

 

amphritrite_street_south_01.jpg (58760 bytes)

 

 

 

 

 

 

STREETS ROADS & PATHS

 

SITE SEARCH

 

Please take the time to view / sign our guest book your thoughts are important to us

or alternatively contact us direct by clicking the link below

 

Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.