GATACRE STREET - Walney Island

(& Terrace)

Gatacre Street forms part of the 'Isle of Walney Estates Company' Vickerstown Estate constructed between 1900 and 1904. It takes it's name from the Boer War General. Sir William Gatacre:

gatacre_street_01s.JPG (48404 bytes)    gatacre_terrace_01s.JPG (46408 bytes)    gatacre_terrace_01.jpg (54055 bytes)

Gatacre Street was to be home of the first Vickerstown Institute, a converted terraced house at number 3. The house was provided by the Isle of Walney Estates Company to offer construction workers of the 'new' Vickerstown estate refreshment. The house officially opened in 1902, but did not permit alcohol sales until the end of 1903 after a period of great unrest and debate from it's users. The house itself remains today as a dwelling property, but the licensed premises was replaced by the 'new' Vickerstown Institute that stands on it's Park Lane site...

See also: Vickerstown

 

STREETS ROADS & PATHS

 

SITE SEARCH

 

Please take the time to view / sign our guest book your thoughts are important to us

or alternatively contact us direct by clicking the link below

 

Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.