MILL LANE - Walney Island

mill_lane_01.jpg (532493 bytes)

It probably doesn't take much imagination to know that Mill Lane had taken it' name from the mill that once stood there? After some rioting, due to the Furness mills inability to function correctly Mr. William Sandys - Receiver General of Rents for the Lordship of Furness obtained a licence to erect a windmill in 1558 at Walney-Island, at a position at what has become known to this day as Mill Lane, toward the upper 'west' end, access to which was gained from the 'east' end of the island from a point just south of North Scale village

The Mill Lane sited windmill became an important landmark of the area for shipping entering and leaving Morecambe Bay, I suppose because this construction had taken place well before that of the Island's Lighthouse. Just prior to 1763 William Matson of Tytup took over sole responsibility for the mill gaining 'satisfactory' service until the time of the Napoleonic war, when a greater demand was placed on the Island for more grain crops to be produced, in turn forcing the construction of another mill... (see North End Farm)...

Originally a theatre was planned to be sited at Mill Lane in association with the 'Vickerstown Picture Palace Company', but the idea was abandoned in favour of  'The Walney theatre & picture house' at Natal Road, and also that a decline in capital investment was noted from Vickers Sons & Maxim.

An army camp once stood at Mill Lane, which is presently covered by Avon Garden Centre and the Vickerstown School playing field and was used as temporary accommodation during the post Great War housing crisis encountered on the Island. Another similar site for the Lancashire Fusiliers was constructed at Biggar Bank.

 

 

STREETS ROADS & PATHS

 

SITE SEARCH

 

Please take the time to view / sign our guest book your thoughts are important to us

or alternatively contact us direct by clicking the link below

 

Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.