SANDY GAP - Walney Island
Both Sandy Gap and and Biggar Bank were the first places on the island to promote cars by installing car parks in 1937 in a continued attempt to convert Walney's west shore into a seaside resort.
Just prior to WWII Sandy Gap and toward Biggar Bank became home to the Walney 'Play-beach' in an attempt to commercialise Walney as a holiday resort. It was described by many who used it as "an exciting area of flashing lights, mechanical shrieks, candy floss, hair-raising rides and side-shows" It seems funny then that today all that remains is a 'crazy golf course' with a part time cafe and a few swings? It is probably worth noting that with the coming of the war Walney's play park fell into a state of disrepair before it was converted into the island's prisoner of war camp...
Please take the time to view / sign our guest book your thoughts are important to us
or alternatively contact us direct by clicking the link below
© Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.