WALNEY FORT - Walney Island
(and coastal defences)
Walney's coastal defences were constructed in 1911 for the Lancashire and Cheshire Royal Garrison Artillery prior to this it being a battery post from 1881. The last use of the Fort Walney Tower itself before it was 'boarded up' was for that of the Walney Coastguard.
Below are pictures of the Two 'defensive light emplacements' that can be found along Walney-Islands; West Shore between Earnse Bay and Sandy (Windy) Gap. The picture on the right shows the air-vents for the subterranean shelters and can be found alongside Fort Walney's Tower
This picture, above right shows the remains of a gun placement at Fort Walney Tower. It is not known to myself which guns actually fired against a sighted German submarine 'U21' at just after 14:15 hours on the 29th January 1915, or if the submarine was hit at all, but just maybe it could have been from this point that the rounds were discharged?
The German submarine 'U21' surfaced and opened fire on the 'German designed' airship sheds that had been constructed on Airship Shed Road, 'better known today as West Shore Road', the rounds that they had discharged fell 'well short' of their intended target/s, although many 'apparent' eye-witnesses reported that the 'U21' had been sunk, it in-fact had survived the retaliation fire from the island's guns and went on the following day to successfully claim the loss of the Ben Cruachan off the Calf of Man and then later the same day, the Linda Blanche, the SS Graphic and the Lilcoan.
In 'The Churchill Papers' (Reference code: CHAR 13/60/98 - dated: 29 Jan 1915) A Telegram from the Admiralty to Vice-Admiral, 1st Battle Squadron, Sir Cecil Burney, was sent reporting that a submarine had fired on Walney Island Battery.
For further information see: R Barnes Walney Island Coast Battery
Please take the time to view / sign our guest book your thoughts are important to us
or alternatively contact us direct by clicking the link below
© Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.